View Single Post

Old 04-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBike View Post
Wonderful stories. Our Italian relatives sound like they could have been cousins.
My Italian grandmother went into the hospital at age 92 and while there for congestive heart failure, was told that she had cancer. Her doctor wanted to start treatment for the cancer and my grandmother said "No! Take all of these tubes out of me and let me go home to die in my own bed in peace."
They made arrangements for her to go home the next day and less than 24 hours later, she passed peacefully in her sleep in her own bed on her own terms.
On her own terms indeed. Those old Italian grandmas were the heart of the home.

What town and province were your ancestors from? When I began my genealogy search about a dozen years ago, I had no idea I would end up with a family tree of 11,837 souls. Mine were from Laurenzana Potenza Basilicata Province in southern Italy. They all sailed out of the Port of Naples. From New York City they eventually ended up all over the United States and Canada.....and also Argentina, Cuba, Australia, etc. wherever there were openings for immigrants......when the quotas in N.Y.C. were filled.

Due to the huge families of children and the Italian naming tradition with each subsequent son naming their children after the grandparents and backward.......many eventually contacted ME and then when we shared whatever records we had, microfilms, birth, marriage and death records from Italy, etc........plus family stories, we made hundreds upon hundreds of cousin connections..........it is a small world after all. No pun intended.