Thread: FSBO advice
View Single Post

Old 04-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecrenshaw View Post
I was a real estate agent in California for 30 years and the law here is that when selling a property "as is" you have to disclose what "as is" is...meaning if you need a new roof, the dishwasher doesn't work, the irrigation system doesn't work, the kitchen faucet has a leak, the pool equipment doesn't work or the pool has a leak, etc. etc.etc....then you have to put it in writing to the buyer and the buyer has to agree to accept these conditions "as is". You even have to disclose if someone died in the house. Most people wouldn't accept a house in "as is" condition, unless they got a really good buy....not just a good buy, but a rock bottom price!

I would check the law in Virginia to see if you would have to disclose any defects that the property might have, before attempting to sell "as is" . It can be very risky and cause a law suit because if the buyer finds something you didn't disclose, they can take you to court.
Great advice! Especially checking the laws in Virginia. ALL states have different real estate laws. My wife and I had been in real estate in CA and AZ, and found the neighboring states to have much different laws....and those laws change frequently. I can't tell you how many times the CA Board of Realtors Sales Agreement was modified during the time we were there.

With that said, and now directed to the OP, I wouldn't even consider selling our own home as a FSBO today...too many possible issues. We even hired an agent to sell the last house we sold in AZ for us...They will have the knowledge and resources to do the best job for you, and just might get you more net ($) from your sale. Many buyers will hesitate to buy from FSBOs as well.

Although we get lots of real estate questions and requests for advice from friends and family, we haven't been active or licensed in almost 20 years. We do have a couple of rental properties in AZ that we manage ourselves.