View Single Post

Old 04-28-2013, 08:28 PM

Ok, The good and the bad. I'm pretty savvy about auto repair and what does and doesn't make sense while doing some of my own work over the years as a college student and hobbyist. I have had excellent mechanics in the Orlando area that I sometimes check with if I'm unsure. I'm still looking for the right combination of expertise and customer service. When I moved to TV 2 years ago my front brakes were beginning to squeal and for sometime made a knock when slowing to turn. Looking for Accutech after reading TOTV reviews, I was parked and looking at my GPS when Jason Accurso drove up to me and asked me to come to his shop for an estimate. He told me I needed Rotors and Pads replaced and the pads would be the best made. Price was not terribly high considering he wanted to replace my rotors which I knew didn't need replacing. Went to Accu Tech and was very impressed with their knowledge and scheduled an appt for the next morning at 8am. I arrived about 5 till 8 and waited in the parking lot. The roll up door was opened and I got out of my car and out of the garage came 3 barking and growling dogs. One about 60lbs and I was trying to determine if I should jump on the hood of my car and decided not.(I'm a dog owner) While waiting to be bitten by strange dogs a man that didn't look much better than dogs looked at me as I asked him if the dogs were ok? He responded the "dogs" were ok which I took as an inference that I wasn't. When I went into talk to the owner about dropping off my car I could tell he was aware of the fiasco that took place outside, No apologies and no mention. I dropped the car off but as I had time to think about it I was so ****ed that I thought about picking my car up before they had a chance to work on it. I didn't and they did a fine job in repairing the car. I have not been back since and thought often about calling the city or county to report the incident. Now I find myself needing brake work for an old pickup truck we keep in storage for errands. I just can't patronize a business that has little respect for their customers. Next I took my wifes newly acquired solara from her mom that was making a noise that she thought were brakes. I couldn't here anything so I asked NAPA on 441 in Summerfield to look at it. He told me the pads were somewhat worn and that they should be replaced. He had a color coded device to show thickness and mine were yellow. Not being entirely comfortable with making a decison I called my Mechanic in Orlando and he told me that some pads New are the thickness of the yellow device. I asked to put the car back together and what did I owe him. He charged me $25 and told me it would be credited when I brought the car back for a brake job. He even called me 30 mins later to be sure I knew that I would be credited the $25, there won't be a next time to take advantage of the credit. Next had screw in my tire and took it to the Tire Choice in colony fortunately they told me it did not puncture my tire but I did need an alignment and that the belts on my rear tires were separating and will need to be replaced. I let them do the alignment because I was already there and had not had that done in a couple of years. I thanked them for the information on my tires but they would be covered under warranty if there was a problem. While waiting they charged a man $137 to repair his turn signal component. When I had my tires balanced at Discount tire which I do every 5k miles they told me the tires were fine. Thanks but no thanks. I will try Quality Tire in the morning.