View Single Post

Old 04-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I often wonder if you have children.

When I taught we would have what I called "food moms" who would not allow their child to have sweets when they were sent in for holiday parties. or requested...STRONGLY that holiday parties have snacks like carrots or fruit.

I always knew the food moms loved their children deeply but I always thought that if they allowed a child an occasional sugar treat it would not kill them. Obviously for children with juvenile diabetes, it was a much easier plan. We just didn't have sugary treats EVER...and the same for peanut allergies.

I was faced with deciding if we should not have any food treats at parties, or have only healthy ones which aren't all that ....um...festive.

When I had a food mom which was not every year....I would just say no treats. It was too hard to watch the child who couldn't have the iced pumpkin cookie eat his packet of raisins. Remember, I taught five and six year olds.

We all survived. I wonder what happened to the little ones whose moms were so strict about food?

Were you young enough to be in my class Villages Pl?
As long as we are all telling our favorite stories, I just thought of a good one. This was when I was in fourth grade. My mother always made me the best sandwiches, as far as I was concerned. (Back then, in 1950, it seems that most sandwiches were made with white bread because no one knew any better.) She would make extra food for dinner and use the excess for lunches. For example, if we had meatloaf for dinner, we would have meatloaf sandwiches for lunch the next day. Chicken for dinner would yield chicken sandwiches for lunch the next day. And my sandwiches alway contained lettuce and tomatoe slices. I was very happy with it.

There was a kid who sat in front of me in class who always got the same thing every day. It was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And he kept begging me to trade with him. But, somehow, I knew better. I didn't think jelly was a good lunch. So I said no. When I told my mother, she said I did the right thing by not trading with him. She thought the same as I did that jelly should not be part of a good lunch. She always included a piece of fresh fruit in my lunch rather than cookies, like some of the others had. But did I feel deprived? No! I liked my lunch just the way it was. And I think it was because she took the time to explain the value of a healthy lunch. (At any rate, it was considered healthy at that time, by 1950 standards.)