View Single Post

Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Sage
Default Other uses for olive oil that we never thought of

Food for thought on other uses for olive oil, dating back to ancient times..........such as “The Annointing of the Sick”....

Even though I still have my mom’s big crucifix which has all the components for the “Last Rites” inside a compartment within....
A candle, the “sacred oil”, etc. etc....I never knew it was olive oil.....my husband who went to Catholic School did not know either.

I guess we just never gave it much thought..........until today.......

As I was reading another of Mary Higgins Clark’s latest “light” fiction, “Daddy’s Gone a Hunting”.....

I came across a reference to OLIVE OIL..........that I hadn’t thought of before...........

To quote from the book:

“Father Martin took out his folded stole from the case, kissed it, and placed it around his neck."

"Then he opened a small jar of sacred oil. “This is pure olive oil blessed by the bishop,” he told Hannah."

“Olive oil was specially chosen by the Church because of the healing and strengthening effects that are its characteristics in everyday life."

"Hannah watched as he dipped his finger in the olive oil and then made the sign of the Cross on Kate’s forehead and hands."

"Healing and strengthening, she thought as she listened to the words of the prayers Father Martin was offering over Kate."

"A sense of peace came over her .................."
************************************************** ************************************************** *****************

I researched the olive oil further..........

ANNOINTING OF THE SICK

The Council of Florence ( 1439 )

The fifth sacrament is extreme unction. Its matter is olive oil blessed by a priest.

This sacrament should not be given to the sick unless death is expected.

The person is to be annointed on the following places:
on the eyes for sight, on the ears for hearing,
on the nostrils for smell, on the mouth for taste or speech, on the hands for touch, on the feet for walking, on the loins, etc........

The minister of the sacrament is a priest. Is effect is to cure the mind, and, in so far as it helps the soul, also the body.

FIFTEENTH CENTURY

Use olive oil blessed by a priest

Only given to the sick if death is expected

Person is annointed on eyes, ears, nostrils, mouth, hands, feet and loins

The minister of the sacrament is a priest

Effect is to cure the mind, body and soul

************************************************** ************************************************** **********

I then went on to read of the natural healing powers of olive oil for health reasons.............

Specifically, extra virgin olive oil.........for soothing sun burned skin, for ear aches, sore throats and coughs, common skin disorders, constipation.

Plus we all know the benefits of olive oil on our rich dark green romaine salads........plus, it's the only oil I cook with.

Modern science is just starting to understand the natural healing powers of olive oil. Ancient civilizations did not understand the
exact science behind the medicinal properties of olive oil but they understood the philosophy,

“ALL FOOD IS MEDICINE AND ALL MEDICINE IS FOOD”.

Thus, ancient civilizations, such as the Greeks and the Egyptians, prized olive oil not just based on its nutritional value but its medicinal value as well.

It’s a well know fact that those who lived around the Mediterranean and consumed olive oil on a daily basis had a propensity for longevity and less heart disease.