View Single Post

Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAfarmgal View Post
Question on mobility scooter. Friends husband had stroke and needs to find scooter with bigger tires. They live on backroad and farm...lots of uneven ground but also be able to put on back of van for WalMart, etc. for mobility. He has fallen many times. Best product, make, model, etc. in your opinion and possibly others opinions? Thanks. BTW, they live in NW PA near Erie and Ohio border. Bigger tires may help in packed/plowed snow to mailbox?? She thought possibly area with many "seasoned" adults may have more insight.
PAfarmgal
I can relate to your mention of "uneven ground" in rural Pennsylvania as it would be similar to Vermont's hilly terrain. NOTHING is flat here.

While mobility scooters would be wonderful in THE VILLAGES FLORIDA, where allowed........or on one's own street or property.........on the backroad and farm that you mention, he could probably tip over quite easily. Not sure about "on snow".

Awhile back I saw an elderly neighbor of ours ride up our HILL to the end of our cul de sac.........very very slowly.......and then as he turned around at the end of our road........and headed "downhill"........on his "scooter" . I said my prayers.

We have another fellow who is on a walker and he will slowly trek uphill.

It's hard up here in Vermont or in rural Pennsylvania or other hilly state for anyone with mobility issues. Just to get up to one's front porch might entail many many many levels of steps........plus a slanted hilly driveway down to the mailbox............our daughter lives off several DIRT ROADS and has a 600 foot long dirt driveway which is private. Our grandson has an ATV....all terrain vehicle for the "mud season".......he's 11. They had four distinct mud seasons last year.

WE are familiar with the Lake Erie area............and Lake Erie is quite beautiful.....

I'm just afraid her loved one will take a spill on a road such as you described, especially if snow covered.....it can get icy and "rutted" in the winter time. He would do well in THE VILLAGES.....for sure. On a smooth flat road like in TV, those scooters would be a GOD SEND.