View Single Post

Old 06-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Another place that does the same thing is Pet Lodge and Spa in Leesburg. Some former Preppy Pet employees work there.

One of the things that is different between Preppy Pet and Pet Lodge is that there are solid half walls at Pet Lodge between the animals' indoor play yards. The groups cannot see each other, and consequently they don't get into yelping frenzies and agitate themselves. There is quiet music playing all the time, and I find the atmosphere there very peaceful. Preppy Pet's "rooms" are separated by chain link fences, and the dogs are barking at each other a lot.

I don't know what size your pooch is, but for general information, the area for big dogs at PP is fairly small. The dogs can get in each other's way, and this can lead to problems. We once went in to pick up our golden after daycare and could see through the window that two aggressive labs had him backed into a corner, were barking furiously at him, and none of the staff had noticed.

I'm wondering... if your dog has not been socialized yet, it might not be a good idea to start this process while you're away. Or rather, it might be better for him to stay in someone's home who cares for a few dogs at a time, rather than a large facility with many dogs.

I can give you names of people who sit in their homes, and one of someone who will stay in your home with the pet. Feel free to PM me if you get that far along and need more info.