View Single Post

Old 07-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I find we can read in our living room, read on the lanai, front porch, and in the den, all quite cozily. We cannot, on the other hand, seat six or eight for dinner with no dining room furniture. We frequently have need to seat that many. Eating on the lanai is not a given in the winter cool weather.

I like having a dining room. I like the way it looks and like the additional storage.
I too like having a dining room that is used from time to time for dining and the rest of the time for other things, like craft projects. There are a table and four chairs in the kitchen nook as well; the kitchen is a room separate from the living/dining rooms.

Since I'm not a television watcher, I have never had a set in the living room, which frees up that space to really be a living room and not a TV room. One of the small bedrooms serves as a combined television room--perfect for streaming movies, videos, and so forth--and my home office; the other small bedroom is the guest room.

I did add a second ceiling fan (balanced with the original fan) to the large room that makes up the living and dining rooms, "lost" the builder's fixture over the dining room table (actually traded it for a wine rack...), and put up track lighting, so nothing interferes visually with what's on the walls of the dining room. An L-shaped sofa with the long part of the L serving as a room divider creates two very separate rooms out of the one big room. Works for me....