View Single Post

Old 07-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
MODERATION ?????? It's an individual thing. I know myself better than anyone else and like Clint Eastwood said in his role of Dirty Harry, "a man has to know his limitations". I know I have an addictive personality and must avoid what I need to since moderation doesn't work for me. It's all or nothing. If for example I had a chocolate chip cookie I would tell myself that I already blew it so I'd have the rest of the box.
You raised a good point and I think it's the reason why close to 80% of diets fail. People have been told (promoted by the fast food industry) that they should be able to eat all their favorite foods in moderation. But it's just not realistic. Today, fast-foods are an addiction for most people and the fast food industry doesn't want that "gravy-train" to stop. If more and more people get the idea that they have to eliminate certain foods altogether, fast-food industry profits could take a big hit. So, what to do? Nip it in the bud by stigmatizing healthy eaters as being Orthorexic.