View Single Post

Old 08-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I have lived here about 13 years. Temp lived in Tampa for 3, but even then traveled here many times. I only tell that as a way of introduction....many here longer and shorter.

I have been struck by changes....

We have a thread concerning younger folks moving here (think I saw in 40's in one case). Not speaking of temp residents but homeowners.

We have a thread concerning whether another "retirement" community should have access to The Villages by golf cart.

I have noticed more of a resort attitude than a retirement attitude everywhere in the last few years. This is MY observation that people come here more and more to vacation.

There are rentals everywhere, and those who purchase homes have probably a fifty fifty chance of NEVER living here, just renting their property.

I am not passing any personal judgement,but in conversations many do.

What do folks think who have been here a few years think about all this. I NEVER could have predicted any of the few changes I mentioned years ago.
Things change. Opinions change.
Opportunities arise, or circumstances happen... and plans/ options change.

Numerous friends I know here intended to live here full time- they can't do that yet, things have happened.

I planned on moving to New Mexico solo- then I married again.
WE decided to retire to The Smokey Mountains- then we found The Villages.

We thought we'd only be free to be snowflakes for a few years- the opportunity arose to make it permanent quickly.

Hubby thought he'd retire- the company wants him to stay, so he commutes and DOES feel like he's in a resort when he's home.
I retired, when I never thought I'd have that luxury- and every day feels like I'm on vacation now. Incredible.
Just examples.

When we purchased 2 1/2 years ago, we did understand that a % of homes were available to those under 50 years of age. Perhaps that is something that wasn't in place originally, but that is today's (non-discriminatory) political correctness.
"Retirement" means different things to different people. I am a senior citizen (so they tell me) but I don't feel any different on the inside than I did at 40.
My body may be aging, but my core spirit is not- and as long as I have my wits about me, I believe it will stay that way. To me, that is natural.

I think it would not be surprising to find that there are many who feel the same way.
As to 'golf cart access from other retirement communities'.... it wouldn't bother me one way or another. I don't think it would harm the quality of my days.