View Single Post

Old 08-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Default Chinch bugs - a must read for newbies

I am posting this here because I want to save folks new to The Villages a lot of time and money. If you have a grass yard you need to treat it for
chinch bugs to keep them away. You don't have to spend a lot of money for lawn treatment you can put this out yourself, but do it! Ace Hardware in Spanish Springs (used to be Sweets) used to sell this treatment.
We don't need it anymore - apparently they don't like rock, LOL.
But, if you see your yard turning brown it may not be dry spots - it could be chinch bugs. They can ruin an entire yard and if they are in a neighbor's yard and you haven't treated your yard yet look out - you will get them too!
So many times I have walked past lawns that have chinch bugs and the owners have extra sprinklers running to fix the "dry" spots. They have no idea they have chinch bugs. This happened to us the very first small home
we purchased. Nobody told us! Even the fellow we paid to cut our yard didn't tell us. Then a neighbor told us and $200 worth of sod later - lesson learned. We were lucky, though, it could have been worse and cost a lot more.
So I wanted to pass this on, since I was here looking in the landscaping area.