View Single Post

Old 08-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Occasionally a palm can have a virus that is not immediately detectable. Some of these viruses are new to our area, just beginning to show up in Central Florida. Lethal yellowing disease is a virus, the Sago Palms are showing another that so far, is unique to Sagos only...... but not all Sagos are affected, and they don't quite know how the Sagos get it. There is no hope if your Sago gets the virus, and no way to test or treat ahead of time. It may look beautiful at the start.

So, for that reason, many good landscapers offer a limited guarantee.
As I said, it varies in terms and length of time it's good for. A nice thing to offer.
As far as the other plants are concerned, I don't believe there is a standard guarantee, but I have many neighbors who have had an occasional plant fail within the first year.
Their landscapers (almost all) came and replaced those plants, without question and in timely fashion. That's good service and good will. I never had that experience personally here, as all my plants have thrived, but I have no doubt my landscaper would have done the same for us.

Up North, it was always standard procedure to give a one year guarantee on any (retail) landscape plant purchased from a legitimate nursery, with the dated receipt of purchase presented along with the dead plant- no questions asked. They did keep a record of the return though, so as not to be abused by brown thumb gardeners, reserving the right to limit the number of returns per customer.
I don't see that as a standard procedure here, but SO much more volume is planted, that I am sure it wouldn't be realistic or cost effective to offer or expect that in our area.
I don't know about all the landscapers. I know that Mansfield, Village Palms, Jamie, KGL and Ron's Landscaping stand behind their palms. I've talked their customers and have been told they have all come back to change out plants for various reasons. For me.... Standing behind your work is important.... I don't just want a palm put in my yard.... I want someone who will be there if something goes wrong with it.