View Single Post

Old 09-05-2013, 05:07 AM
Sage
Default Did any of you get serious sun burn when you first arrived in TV from the north?

Just wondering if any of you, or your spouse, got a serious sunburn when you first arrived in The Villages (from the northern states)???

Obviously, we do not get all that much intense sunshine up here to worry about sunburn......but the truth hit home most recently when my husband's both arms broke out in a red blistering rash even though he sat under a beach umbrella and wore a white L.L. Bean "T" shirt the entire time......which was a good thing. (I had purchased rash guards for him but he didn't care for those shirts at all). I also brought the highest UV sun protection lotion but obviously it was not applied.

None of the children (who were already brown as berries) or the babies (who wore rash guard bathing suits....protected neck to wrists.....and slathered otherwise with sun block)..........had any problems with the sun...... thankfully.

It was Maine.....not a tropical climate. I'm just wondering how the Florida sun will impact husband's skin when he is living in Florida fulltime?
The red blistering rash was like nothing we've ever seen. He went out and bought two cans of solarcaine. But then stayed out of the sun as much as he could. His arms were red as a lobster....and blistering.
More like a purplish red.

I just researched this site which shows the zones and the UV rays, etc.
Keep scrolling down on it to the bottom...........to see the states as of today's date.

http://www2.epa.gov/sunwise/uv-index
http://www2.epa.gov/sunwise/uv-index

When our kids were little, we never used sunblock or rash guards back in the late 1960's or early 1970's at the Jersey shore nor the Maine or New Hampshire or Massachusetts shore........but I do know that all of our younger family members protect their little ones with HATS, SUNGLASSES, RASH GUARDS, UV PROTECTION CREAM....ETC. I think I need to get my husband a full body suit......or his discoid lupus might flare up again.
If it hasn't already.

Thanks in advance for any of your stories on sunburn in Florida.

Up here we have to worry about frostburn. There is a frost and freeze warning for us this evening into the overnight. Time to cover the tomatoes.