View Single Post

Old 09-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

I hate to break it to all you Macy's lovers but it is in big financial troubles. I can't see them expanding any or being able to raise the capital to do so. They do have a lot of sales and that is because without keeping their volume up they can't keep it together. But with higher mall rents, more and more unions of sales people and competition from the likes of wallmart and Amazon they just aren't making the profit margin to keep things up. I recently spoke to one of the few of us still working at the pacific Northwest Macys in regional management says Nationally they have not made their numbers since 2006. They make themselves look better to investors by leaning out their workforce and closing stores. Some of the stores they have opened are outlets. Without their direct own label imports they would really be underwater. Ok a disclaimer I was in the buying office at Macys that they closed in 2008 so maybe I have a slightly slanted view.

As far as not having enough population it is the fact that the population is seasonal that is the problem, If the peak population of the villages was year around given the average income level advertised by the villages it would be a good bet, but I would be afraid of opening a store in an area with so many snowbirds.