View Single Post

Old 04-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Default Re: What do you like least about the Villages

I think the trash pickup, and lack of re-cycling here is a little disturbing. It seems so backwards, and behind-the-times. I am pretty sure that most of us were accustomed to putting our trash and different types of recyclable items into separate containers before moving here, for the past several years -- newspapers, cardboard, different types of plastic, etc, etc...

When I moved here, and attended orientation, I was told that our trash all gets taken to the prison, and is picked through and separated by the prisoners! I was pretty surprised, and of course always make sure I use my shredder diligently for anything that has my name or any type of ID or info that could be stolen and used by a prisoner, or sent to their friends on the outside! I've mentioned this to a few people here, and some of them weren't aware that this was where our trash goes. (I guess The Villages orientation isn't standardized!)

I think it is ridiculous to have prisoners do our recycling for us, when we could do it ourselves. They should have the prisoners do something more meaningful, useful, or more needed.