Thread: School Tax
View Single Post

Old 04-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: School Tax

Sparky:

I lived in Woodstock, GA and my kids went to school in Cherokee Cty. GA. The school system is pretty good but they always seemed to be a little (sometimes a lot) behind catching up with the tremendous growth in the area. Keep in mind that Georgia has a state income tax that supports the school system. As you know, Florida imposes no income tax on residents. Money for schools must obviously come from somewhere...real estate tax, sales tax, corporate taxe, business impact fees etc. Another level of complexity arises from our area demographic in that the ratio of seniors to non-senior income earners is probably high (just a guess). I wonder how this ratio compares vis-a-vis Marion/Sumter/Lake counties v. Cherokee, Cobb/N. Forsyth counties in GA? That would be an interesting and perhaps telling metric to determine the feasibility of eliminating the "school tax" for seniors which would most likely come in the form of a reduction in real estate taxes. I don't think there is a "school tax" per se. Is there?
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL