View Single Post

Old 04-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Veteran member
Default Suggested Elective Courses

I suggest the following elective courses (mandatory would be better) for college Freshman (and high-schoolers).

Personal Finances 101. Course Description: Check-book balancing, understanding credit & debits (debits in particular), smart-shopping, short-term fiscal planning (looking ahead as far as next month..for example), pitfalls of mooching and why spending $46 to have nails done is not a valid living expense and understanding the relationship between transportation fuel-economy and vehicle speed. And, for extra credit, understanding why you will not "just die" if you don't go to Cancun or other ex*****ve places over Spring Break.

Communications Symposium. Agenda: Why, how, when and why to communicate with family members, most notably, parents for reasons other than financial support. Establishing, maintaining and understanding a communication priority system e.g. immediate family first, then extended family and friends. Why it's improper to screen and allow incoming calls from parents to roll-over to voice mail and the importance of returning all phone calls. Lastly, understanding the importance of the proper use of the English language to convey ideas and to foster the impression of intelligence and eloquence.

Customs and Courtesy Workshop: Agenda: A reiforcement of proper customs and behaviors in various day-to-day activities. Without verbal cues...when to use the terms and phrases such as: thank-you, pardon-me, allow-me, may I, how-may-I-help and other terms and phrases befitting a civilized society.

The Downside of Tattoos and Body Piercing Plenary Session. Agenda: Understanding the impact that tattoos and piercings have on current and future employability. How to prevent people from staring at you with mouth-agape. An in-depth understanding the definition of the word "indelible". An exploration of masochism and it's implications in terms of neurosis as a gateway to psychosis.

Other suggestions are welcome.

Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL