View Single Post

Old 10-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Default Villages Touch Football - Interested?

I moved into The Villages 3 weeks ago. I'd like to find some guys with whom I can play two hand touch football. The time would be 9 AM or 10 AM Sunday mornings. I think it works best with 4 or 5 to a side. Teams would be different every week, but with an effort to make them fairly equal.

The basic rules would be:
No equipment other than soft spike shoes if you want them.
Two hand touch; defender makes the call.
Field is based upon what is available, but basically something around 50 yds x maybe 25 yds, marked by little plastic orange cones at corners and midfield.
One defender rushes after counting aloud to one thousand three. If there are an odd number of players, short team is always defense, and pass must be thrown by count of one thousand four. One player simply switches teams upon change of possession.
NO BLOCKING CONTACT! However, you may get in the way of someone.
Unless someone cannot throw and declines, players rotate as quarterback in each drive.
Usually we have had a "pass only" rule, because we found it too easy to simply run. I am open to input on that based upon what players who show up on any given day want to try.
No 10 yard first down rule. No X number of completions result in first down. In each drive you can only get a first down by getting to midfield with 4 downs. After midfield, you have 4 downs to score. This keeps it simple, and has worked out very well.

I played this for many years in Pennsylvania. It is fun, with little risk of imjury as long as you can sprint a little without pulling a muscle.

Location wise, maybe eventually we can officially get a place in The Villages, but for now it would be wherever we find a spot. Maybe a park outside The Villages, maybe we could just go use a Villages softball outfield without any hassle. Anyone know if softball games are played Sunday mornings?

You are invited to join me if you want to have friendly games, centered upon passing and catching skills, not brute force, and place more importance upon everyone having a good time than upon winning at all costs.

Initially, I will restrict players to those age 60 or over. If we are shorthanded with that, then we'd have to lower the age. I guess it would be open to females, but none ever wanted to play in Pennsylvania. Maybe there are some here who have played before and would like to do it again.

Post here if interested. If you want to also send me a private message, that is ok too.

Bill

Last edited by maybe; 11-10-2013 at 11:56 AM.