Thread: Gentlemen
View Single Post

Old 05-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Gentlemen

I agree with peepop regarding the cell phone issue. It's much more obtrusive I think. Hat's off for gentlemen in establishments stems from Victorian era customs and courtesy. Custom and courtesy in societies change. Perhaps this is what we are experiencing. Good or bad, change is a certainy but it doesn't mean you must like it. I remember my dad looking at guys in the 60's with long hair and thinking were all going to *ell in a hand basket. Change. What a concept huh?

I remember, in the military going to chow hall, as we would enter, we would remove our covers and smack it against our legs to remind those behind us that ol' sarge was watching (and listening).

Have you ever noticed how many seniors wear their golf hats in the CC's after a round. Take a look next time. It's not just the younger folks who are not complying with the "old" custom.

Oh, BTW, don't let me catch anyone with a hat on during the playing of the national anthem.....that REALLY bugs me. In restaurants.....it's water off a ducks back.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL