View Single Post

Old 05-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Veteran member
Default Culture/People Smells

I just made a post under the Thai Ruby topic and I thought of an interesting story. Not about Thailand...but it may be related. Have you ever noticed when traveling abroad, the smell (odor) of the culture....places and people? Thailand has some interesting odors....for sure. But in making that post I remembered an interesting experience I had while traveling in Mexico with a bunch of South Koreans on business (yeah, I know...weird). At dinner and after a third round of Tequila, we were talking about acupuncture, homeopathic remedies, religion.....and the soul searching philosophical stuff that Tequila brings out.....then one of the Koreans mentioned something about the smells of Mexico. Which made me think of a question....which I asked. What do Americans smell like? The response was......drum roll......butter. I thought that response was interesting. What does it say about us?

BTW. The S. Koreans can drink anyone under the table. Been there.....and the smell of the floor of Anillo el Toro, in San Juan del Rio.....is..well interesting in a cultural sense.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL