View Single Post

Old 06-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Default Re: Culture/People Smells

I am drawn to a quote from gryoung's post "When Insults Had Class". That would be "Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it?".

All this discussion about how folks in other countries can smell us a mile away. Could it be because a good number of North Americans are consumed with smelling like something other than themselves? It is very seldom that I can go to a restaurant, movie, play or whatever, without having to tolerate the "odor" of what someone else has deemed a "fragrance" and who feels that everyone in the establishment should be given the opportunity to inhale a good dose of it.
My wife explained to me that when she was growing up, she was taught to spritz a little in the air and then walk through it, and to do this 1/2 hour before going out the door. She was taught that the only time someone was allowed to catch her fragrance was when they were standing directly in her space. Other than that, it was supposed to go unnoticed. If only that were the case nowadays.
Unfortunately, there are many of us who are allergic to large doses of perfume and our evening is altered by a splitting headache. All because it seems everyone is trying to outdo the other by bathing in their own preferred scent.
It's refreshing to have someone walk by and to catch a brief hint of their scent rather than have them walk by and leave the area smelling like they dropped and broke the bottle right under our noses.
I am interested in others' comments on this issue. Do you think there should be a "heavy" perfume ban in movie theatres, restaurants, concerts, etc., just as there is currently a no-smoking ban?