View Single Post

Old 07-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Default Re: Culture/People Smells

There could be some truth to darbyduff's suggestion that alcoholic men bath in perfume to mask their "other" smell. Don't know if it's necessarily "always" true, but I couldn't agree more that there are a good number of men who are also clueless that they are making it uncomfortable for their friends by going overboard with their cologne, which is just as bad as perfume.

When I was proposing a ban on excessiveperfume in certain social venues, I really meant a ban on women's perfume AND men's cologne, used in excess. I wouldn't be this vocal about it if I didn't get a splitting headache within seconds of breathing in a STRONGperfume or cologne. There is nothing worse than going out to a nice restaurant, ordering the food and just as the food is served, someone with a massive dose of fragrance is seated adjacent to me. Aside from the instant headache, any aroma coming from my $20 or $30 meal is overpowered by the smell coming from this inconsiderate person. Is this really necessary? It's such a touchy subject. It's ok to fill an entire room with one's scent, but it's not ok to tell that person they're wearing way too much perfume. Perhaps with more discussion we could get a movement going.