View Single Post

Old 07-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: What do you like least about the Villages

A subject I can really respond to. What don't I like about the Villages.

First of all, I wouldn't live anywhere else. This is not just a community of houses, it is a wonderful lifestyle for people who are retired and want to live here full time. We appreciate all the activities and don't feel embarrassed at all to share it all with family and friends when they visit. My nephews who are in their late 30's have said they can see why we love this place and they hope they can live here when they retire!

Now, for dislikes. I resent the fact that the Daily Sun does NOT publish all the news. You will rarely see any "bad" news about things that happen in the Villages in the Sun. For example, in recent weeks, there have been five break-ins in the Village of Tall Trees alone. This information came from the Sumter Sheriff's Department. I have NEVER seen a word about it in our local "newspaper" which I consider the funny paper! We are not so old and frail that we can't handle the truth and we need to know about crimes in the Villages so we can protect ourselves and our homes.

Secondly, I wish the sales staff had been more truthful with us when we were looking at homes. Regardless of what I have since found out, I would still have selected the Villages but we were not told about the fact that we, as courtyard villa owners, were responsible for repair and replacement of the stucco walls if they were damaged or destroyed. We are now told "it is in your paperwork" but unfortunately, we didn't read all the small print.

We were told that our amenities would be grandfathered but we have had two increases in the two years we have lived here. Because we have excellent amenities, I really don't mind the increase but it would have been nice to be told the truth.

The issue of the "bond" was never fully explained to us. Had it been, I would not have been so resentful when I had to make out that very large check to avoid having what could have amounted to something like a second mortgage payment.

Living in Villas, we are very restricted as to what we can do landscaping-wise, etc. The so-called Neighborhood Watch drives around the Villas telling us to remove items we have placed on our property such as a small table and chair. This only applies to Villas as we are more restricted than other home sites.

All this being said, again, I still would not move out of the Villages. There is simply no other place with such a wonderful lifestyle for retirees.

One last thing, I am tired of local businesses thinking we are all rich since the developer advertises..."Live the Millionaire Lifestyle". I am enjoying life but I am not a millionaire and don't live like one!

Sorry I rambled on but these are pet peeves of mine.