View Single Post

Old 07-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: What Are the restrictive covenants in general?

This is one REALLY BIG issues here in the Villages. Sink holes ..... a problem getting the developer fixing them and some really big discussions about it. I know some have been resolved but not to all residents satisfaction. Roads, as long as there is access to the general public, roads are county issues but the other roads here in the villages where there is no "open" access will ultimately be the responsible of residents.

The main problem is that when the "family" is finishing developing in approximately 2011, the residents will hold responsibility for much of everything including repair of buildings, sidewalks, etc.

I live in a courtyard villa and have been advised that I am responsible for keeping the villa wall around my house including the outside of the wall and the grass and plants around it, in appropriate shape. So, if my villa wall begins to crack, myself and appropriate neighbors will have to contract the repair. Recent villa walls that were damaged in the tornado were repaired by the developer after much discussion.

FEMA advised in certain districts hit by the tornado that they would not provide financial assistance unless the roads were open access.

A concern now for many Villagers is that we bought into a community called "gated" and we really don't have that anymore. Just about anyone who has a contract to do work with the Villages has easy access to our neighborhoods.

The Bond is still an issue but as I understand it, this is fund by which the residents will pay for upkeep of the Villages after the developer "family" moves on. I just don't know enough about this issue to give you any other information.

I was distressed to find out much of what I know, AFTER, buying my place. Don't think we were given enough information prior to signing the papers. They do give you a HUGE book and tell you to read it all so you know your responsibilities and there are meetings held routinely to "explain" the responsibilities, but I still don't think we all know enough about who is responsible for what.

POA and VHA both say they report only the truth and facts we need but I won't print here what I think about the VHA even though we signed on a lifetime members two weeks after we moved in.

Just keep asking questions and hopefully people who have lived here longer than I will be able to help both you and I.

Again, regardless of the difficulties, I wouldn't live anywhere else. I love the Villages and can't imagine being anywhere else.