View Single Post

Old 07-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default I'm Not Sure That Criticism Of Either The Dems Or The GOP In Congress...

...is necessarily correct. The Congress is an elected deliberative body. For the past 8-10 years both the House and Senate have done little except become more polarized. For a part of that time we had a Republican Congress and a Democratic President and now a Democratic Congress and a Republican President, so I'm not certain there's any conclusion to be reached other than the entire system is broken.

I suspect there are a lot of people who share a lot of the views I have. I have conservative views with regard to fiscal policy, but more liberal beliefs on social issues. And unlike many of those we've elected to Congress, I'd like to think I'm willing to be convinced there might be a better idea for the American people. A "centrist"? I guess that's what I am.

How will I vote next time? After having been badly disappointed in what candidates said compared to what they have done in recent years, I've adopted a new voting strategy for future national elections...

I will vote for the candidate that has absolutely the LEAST experience in Washington regardless of his/her party or campaign platform. Then I will NEVER vote for that candidate for re-election to a subsequent term.

If you want to describe that as "throw 'em all out and start over"...I guess that's what I'd favor.

The only candidate that might cause me to vary from my new self-adopted voting policy would be one who uneqivocally stated that he would propose and vote for a complete re-do of political campaign finances including a limit on the pre-election campaign period and a limit on campaign spending limited to that provided by the government.

If more people got off their unyielding support of single issues, political parties or special interests, I think we'd all be better off.