View Single Post

Old 07-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: Air Conditioning Question

I understand that Clorox may be corrosive over time but I can't imaging that white vinegar would cause the same corrosive problems. Hot water by itself would not attack the accumulated mold which is common in all evaporator trays. The Trane tech was the one who recommended the vinegar over Clorox.

On the issue of Trane standing behind its products, I agree that if a particular part or component is recognized as defective and these evaporator coils are clearly defective based on the number of failures in the Villages, you would reasonably expect Trane to replace the parts, including labor--no questions asked. But I believe I mentioned that only the refrigerant line is covered beyond year one.

I also heard anecdotally from one of the real estate agents that the Villages tried Carrier units for a time but found them to have a high failure rate. Another example of how American manufacturing never stops trying to find cheaper methods until the market place gives up and stops buying their products. You would think the AC manufacturers would have learned a lesson from the American auto industry and the pervasive failure of consumer confidence.