Thread: Walkthrough?
View Single Post

Old 07-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Lists And Private Inspectors

I prepared a four-page list of questions that I sent to my Builder about a week before our walkthrough. He had dutifully prepared answers to every single question and took as long as we wanted to inspect everything. Having said that, I'll admit that I've done several remodeling/home addition projects and think I know a little more than the average bear about home construction.

Having said that, there can be a huge difference in building codes between where you came from and The Villages. The use of steel studs, Romex wiring instead of conduit and wire, and stucco over block are examples of differences between old and new homes.

I hired a private home inspector to prepare a report about a month before my warranty expired. I then submitted his report to TV Warranty office and they responded to every single item. I'd recommend that at some time, either before closing or before your warranty expires, the use of a private and experienced inspector for a couple hundred bucks is worth the investment.