View Single Post

Old 11-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
My first car was a '53 Dodge Coronet with Fluid Drive - somewhat a semi-automatic transmission with a clutch. Great car for learning how to drive a stick - couldn't stall it! Referred to by my friends as "The Upside-Down Bathtub". Bought it for $50 bucks from a neighbor.......and then proceeded to get plowed into the first time I took it out for a drive. Bummer. Still had my temps/learners permit! A lot of hammer-and-dolly work by my dad and me, some (read: 'a whole bunch of') bondo, and an all-over paint job "ala brush" compliments of my dad as well and I was back in business again! The 'quality' of the bodywork made the side of the car look like a waffle - it certainly wasn't the best job in the world! But my dad and I enjoyed working on it together - it was a learning experience for me.

Kept the Dodge for a few years, got another car or two in the meantime, then sold it to a high school buddy as I got busy with the other cars. My dad's interest in cars and working on them got into my blood big-time......and still hasn't left these many years later!

Bill
My dad too! He taught me how to help him bleed brakes because my brother wasn't interested. We had the weirdest "second" cars when I was in high school, because he loved to pick up second-hand oddballs. Besides the Triumph Herald, we had a Morris Minor and some German coupe which all I can remember of was that it said "Fahrt" on the dashboard shift indicator. Which, of course, at age 16 I and my friends thought was hilarious.