Thread: Downsizing
View Single Post

Old 07-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Veteran member
Default Downsizing

For you folks who live in TV; can you tell me how it was if you downsized from a larger home to a Villages home.

We live in Chicago (far west subrubs) in a 4000 sq foot home; three floors with a finished basement. It's very elegant and decorated professionally. I have lovely property with mature landscaping, etc. I love to garden so spend a lot of time creating flower gardens in back.

Anyway, we love TV and seriously want to retire there within a year or so. We have family and grandchildren who live close to us and that alone is a challenge moving away from them (have others struggled with this - my grandchildren are 7, 6 and 1)

For those who have downsized considerably, can you tell me your experience, both good and bad. I'm having nightmares about my stuff! We have over nine rooms of furniture, most of it I love but it's not compatible with FLA living - my pieces are heavy and somewhat ornate. Logically, I know I will need to sell or give away a lot of furniture, not take five sets of dishes or three sets of knives, etc.

Can you share some useful tips or experiences to make the transition bearable! I know we're buying a life style but I feel a home is important too. We're thinking of downsizing to around 2,200 sq feet; a designer home. The premiers are out of our price range.