Thread: Downsizing
View Single Post

Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Downsizing

What a nice bunch of people you are! Thanks so much for responding. I figured that I would be giving up a lot of the furniture I now have. Most of it just won't work. I can take a lot of the accent pieces but the big furniture will have to go. Your posts were very helpful.

Now about the grandkids! I have two grandsons, 6 and 1 and a granddaughter who will turn 7 next week. My son nd his family live a mile one way,my daughter and her family live a mile the other way!

To say that I see them every day would not be true - I work full time so during the week, I seldom see them. They are pretty busy with their own lives and as they get older, my grandkids are off to their different activities. Last night it was my granddaughter's swim meet and my grandson's T ball game! I went to both and they ended up stopping in after the games for snacks! So, we probably visit and see each other weekly but not daily.

I am pretty close to my daughter and son. My daughter feels it's the best move for us because we are originally from Boston and we left our friends there when we moved to Illinois ten years ago. My son on the other hand is struggling with the family thing and leaving the grandkids. We don't talk about it much with him.

So, like many people who retire and move; what are the tips for getting past the "guilt" and separation from family.

Again, thanks for your posts - this is a nice friendly board!