Thread: Downsizing
View Single Post

Old 07-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Downsizing

We went from a four bedrooom, two story house to a courtyard villa with two bedrooms. We thought we had downsized before we moved. NO WAY!!!! When we got here, we still had excess furniture so we donated it to Habitat for Humanity who sell it in their shops to make money to build homes for those in the program.

I wish I hadn't bought some of my oak furniture only two years before we retired. I would have given it away and just gotten Florida style things but it cost too much and was too new.

Do the best you can to see if your kids or other relatives are interested in those pieces that you love and want someone to cherish. Everything else, donate or bring to a consignment store. Come here with as little as possible. That's the advice I have given everyone.

Now a lot will depend on the size home you are buying. If you go into a designer with three bedrooms, you won't have as much downsizing as you would in a two bedroom villa or ranch.

As for the grandkids, children LOVE to visit here. Just think on their Winter break they can visit you and get to Disney as well. Really though, kids absolutely love to visit grandparents here.

Villages Kahuna gives you some excellent tips!

Best of luck.