View Single Post

Old 07-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: Rumor--Design Center Returning

ouma1938:
The reference goes back to the days in 2004 (or, perhaps, earlier) thru 2006 when there were three ways to buy in TV: pre-owned home, new home and build-your-own-home. The third way was eliminated sometime in 2006. I used this in late 2004 and it was a wonderful experience.
The so-called Design Center was located where Southern Lifestyle's Lake Sumter Landing showroom is now. It was here where I spent several hours each day over a week's time literally selecting everything about my home.
First, building details. Before I even selected my lot, I'd pretty well decided on the floor plan, but I was allowed certain small modifications to it during this selection week and then we concentrated on shingle style and color, stucco or frame, paint colors, etc., etc.
Then, "decorating" details. Floors, cabinets, counters, sinks, stove, fridge, ceiling fans, electric switches (where, serving what, toggle or rocker, lit or unlit), bathroom stuff (single or double sink, tub or shower or combined, toilet type and size) - on and on and on.
After 42 years in what is now a 100-year old house, I had a ball selecting new. And everything was added up as we went along, so by the end of the week I knew exactly how much money I'd spent! (A lot, of course!)
It's a pity that The Developer decided to stop this method of buying. I think it brought a lot of folks here (almost all my neighborhood, for instance) who might not have come otherwise.