Thread: Downsizing
View Single Post

Old 07-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Downsizing

Scottke; I hear you loud and clear. My sister, who lives in Boston, can't believe I could even consider leaving the family. But like you, I am starting to tune it out. We know realistically that living in our present home when we retire will hurt us financially and drain our retirement. Downsizing to another area isn't appealing because the real estate taxes are too high here in IL and the winters are too long. Most of our friends that we have history with are in Boston and we're not moving back there! My son and daughter and their families are constantly busy with the kids and their own lives. The older my grandkids get, the less I see them! But I did have a beautiful day with my granddaughter on Sat. We went to the American Girl store and had a ball!

So, we have limited options and TV is so appealing that we can't resist it.

My daughter says that I've cared and taken care of people all my life, it's time for me now. She feels it's the best move we can make because we lack friends here and spend the winters indoors with the choices either of going to the mall or going to a movie! I absolutely love this time of year. I spend every chance I get in my lovely gazebo. I get so down thinking about taking the screens off in a few months and putting tarps on the furniture!

Like I said, I wish I could go poof and the hard part of leaving is behind me! My husband sounds like your husband, he's ready to go!