View Single Post

Old 07-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Anyone Have Thoughts On Garage Floor Coverings?

"Up north" I had my garage floor sealed with a clear, industrial sealant that seemed to protect it from snow, salt, ice and tire wear pretty well. But in that case, I had the sealant applied within hours after the concrete floor had been poured and set up. And it was a product used to coat factory floors, one that I haven't seen since I moved to TV.

My garage floor in TV has now been unsealed and used for almost a year. Almost all of the "paint" type sealants I've researched require that the floor be acid-etched before application of the product. And even then, every one will have to be re-applied every 2-3 years. My neighbors who had epoxy products applied to their garage floors are confirming the limited durability of such floors. And the acid-etching requirement is "out" as far as I'm concerned because it would damage the pavers I have installed on the driveway just outside the garage door.

But what about some of the plastic tile type products? A product called RaceDeck is available from a couple of flooring suppliers in TV. It's pricey, but looks good and doesn't seem to have a durability issue.

Does anyone have any comments on RaceDeck or the contractor who installed it? Are there any similar, comparable products that should be considered?