View Single Post

Old 07-31-2007, 05:21 PM
n/a

Default Re: Poll - Amnesty for Illegal Aliens

True quick story with a twist. I was waiting on line with my son at the DMV in Cherokee County, GA a couple of years ago....getting a motorcycle license. Rural county, long line, outdoor waiting area, hot Georgia sun...you get the idea. Struck-up a conversation with a young soldier in uniform waiting in line....sergeant...hard stripes...CIB....you vets out there know what that means. Turns-out he just got back from Iraq. I always take the opportunity to talk to these guys.....if you want to get the real skinny on what's happening there....talk to someone who had a bullet or two say hello to the air just over their cover. Also, turns-out he was there at the DMV to translate the driver written test for his mom. Translate? He was a Ukrainian national, a LEGAL alien just finishing his first hitch in the U.S. Army. He also served as a soldier in the Soviet army (can you believe it!!). Because I'm of Ukrainian decent, this conversation was verrry interesting. He had no detectable accent.....even had a little Georgia drawl. It IS legal for legal aliens with resident status to serve.....and to EARN their citizenship. This guy was not a citizen yet....but he was about to be and he was immensely proud. He was in my opinion...an American....earned it through hard work, loyalty, sweat and also some blood as it so happens. As a vet, I bonded with this fine young man over the hour or two while we baked in the Georgia sun......and I don't pity the next insurgent that comes into his crosshairs....and they will....and if they run, they'll just die tired. But that said, now the twist:

The U.S. Army is pushing hard for the "Immigration Reform Bill" (read amnesty) to pass in order to recruit LEGAL ALIENS into the ranks. If that happens, the ranks will filled with these now illegal aliens, and they will now be armed. I have mixed feelings about this. Food for thought. And thanks y'all for the previous write-ups on the topic.... I love the forum to be lively.