View Single Post

Old 08-02-2007, 12:53 AM
Default Re: Trying to Sell Your Home

gryoung,

At one time, Lake Chapala must have been quite impressive. However, when we visited about 5 years ago, the water in the lake had receded to an alarmingly low level. I was told that the farmers in the region and the City of Guadalajara were using the water to excess. Don't know if this is true or not but I do know that the lake was about half empty. Case in point: there is a pier that extends a long distance out into the lake. There are rings mounted to the pier in order to tie up a boat. I stood on the end of the pier and watched cattle grazing below me-no water. As for poverty, you bet! The Americans and Canadians started a after-school program in which they entertain the local children with arts and crafts and such. The locals work as gardeners and housekeepers at very low rates. Not because the "outsiders" demand it but because the well-off locals demand it. The Realtor told us that the Americans and Canadians must be "constantly reminded not to pay too much because it makes things worse for everyone else who has to pay for services".

The cost of living was very low. I met a fellow at the American Legion hall who lived there full time in an RV. He had only Social Security (no pension or large savings account) and his wife had NO Social Security. He told me that he lives quite nicely. We toured a few homes. As an example, one of the homes was high on the hillside overlooking Lake Chapala with an unobstructed view. It was a 3-level modern home (American style) with servants quarters on the lower level. The property, itself, was on two levels with a typical backyard on one level, and a beautiful flower garden and a few citrus trees on the second level. The owner had the house on the market for over three years at that time and was asking $45,000 USD.

But for us the poverty situation was uncomfortable and there was evidence that the locals were resentful of the "outsiders". The Mexican economy has come a long way in a short period of time. But I believe the success is limited to the large metropolitan areas and places like Lake Chapala have been left behind. Only my guess since I haven't been back and have no plans to visit again. It was an experience, though.