View Single Post

Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
The state of Washington probably has the biggest crop of apples then any other state I believe. They have what they call Controlled Atmosphere Storage, carefully controlled by the state. Careful control of Temp, Oxygen, Carbon Monoxide and Humidity, slows down the ripening process. It's non chemical. When done correctly, apples can last up to 12 months, and still have that crispness and taste. It's no wonder you see abundant of apples in spring and summer, when you know apples are usually only picked in fall or so. I'm always amazed to see so many choices of apples in the summer, when I know they were picked in the fall the prior year. I'm not sure what other states do, but Washington is carefully watched and controlled by the state itself.
Thanks, Larry, I'll try to remember that: When in doubt, choose Washington apples. One of the problems with the gaseous compound is that it slowly destroys the apple's antioxidants.

I suppose another strategy would be to just eat apples when they are in season. Perhaps I should stop buying them in January?