View Single Post

Old 08-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Late Evening Loud Music

We live behind a freight train and what they call a changing station. This means the trains crash into each other - that's what it sounds like. It's not as close as 400 feet - it's more like 3-4 blocks away if I had to calculate. But somtimes it sounds like it's in my lap!

We have a berm (or small hill) that blocks the view but not the sound. After ten years, we have become use to it (to a poiint). I don't find it intrusive as much but when we have company and enjoying an evening outside in our gazebo, and the train comes by; my guests will jump exclaiming "what in the world is that".

So, I can clearly understand what Jan is dealing with.

When we had our home built, the builder never mentioned it but in our walk around the neighborhood and of course, going over the small hill to see what was on the otehr side, we were hesitant and decided to investigate by talking to people who already lived in the area. Not one person said it was a problem and noted that after a while, they didn't even notice it. So, we did our homework and trusted what the neighbors told us. Coupled with the fact that we love our home and got a good deal with the builder.

I admit, I do notice it on a spring night when the windows are open and I'm in bed and the trains passing each other have to say hello by blowing their whistles back and forth for several minutes.

Like I say, we don't find the sound intrusive but people who have sold in our area have said it does become a problem when trying to sell the house. We're in better shape than most of our neighbors because we can't see the trains from our second floor because of the location of our home.

I do understand Jan's dilemma and frankly, some folks are not being fair by saying to get over it. I'm sure by now Jan is somewhat use to it but it's hard to convince potential buyers that it's not that big a deal. So, you have my understanding Jan and I hope if you ever decide to sell, you have good luck.