View Single Post

Old 08-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Edge Versus 3G?

I've read that one of the disadvantages of the AT&T/Cingular network is their "slow" internet technology (Edge?) compared to the faster (3G?) technology used by Verizon and some other networks. I currently use a Palm Treo 650 on Verizon, but I seldom use the device to access e-mail, surf the internet, etc. I've experimented with both and it almost "feels" like returning to the days of the 56K modem. I don't know how much of the cause is the Treo software and how much is Verizon network capability, although I'm guessing the slowness is more the fault of the Treo. I've read that the iPhone software for e-mail and internet access is superb, limited only by the speed of the AT&T network. As a lifelong Mac user, a great user interface on the iPhone wouldn't surprise me.

From all that I've been able to determine, it might be a long while--if ever--that the iPhone is available on another wireless network. AT&T has a two-year contract with Apple for the iPhone. Beyond that, Apple has a reputation of being loyal to their partners to an extreme. Nothing I've read or that I've been able to determine from Apple people I know suggests that another wireless provider is even on Apple's radar screen.

That being the case, will I be badly disappointed by the e-mail and internet performance of the iPhone on the AT&T network? Is AT&T working towards switching to a faster technology, possibly 3G?

Comments?