View Single Post

Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
My previous post addressed the living here full-time, still having out-of-state car registration.

I think if you have 2 residences it's possible to have one registered here and one there legally, if that's where they are primarily garaged. But - it might depend on the state and the insurance carrier. For a while, we left one car in Ohio (registered there) and one was registered in Florida after we became Florida residents. I was up front with my insurance carrier (USAA) who didn't seem concerned. We had an address in Ohio for the renewals.

Now we are down to one car we drive back and forth, but since we're Florida residents, it's registered here. And yes, our insurance is higher in Florida, but I for one would not take the risk. Plus, part of being a legal Florida resident is registering your motor vehicle here. Not sure who checks that though, since there is no Florida income tax. I think we got Florida drivers' licenses and tags at the same time.
I can tell you who checks...the people where you go to apply for the FL homesteading for your property tax. We had to show our driver's licenses plus car registration to apply.

We have friends, one of whom became a FL resident, and one didn't. I think it was because of the gun laws in FL being easier than those in MI. They were not allowed homesteading on both homes. I believe he had to register his car in FL and get a FL driver's license to become a resident.