View Single Post

Old 08-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Founder
Default This is not intended to be a "negative" forum and it isn't

I have been a little concerned lately. More than one person has said that they have been told by people associated with the Villages management that Talk of The Villages is a "negative" forum. I'm not sure why they would think that. This forum is designed to enhance the lifestyle in the Villages. Sometimes that takes the form of discussing things that could be better. This is a real place, not a dream. We have real people in the Villages and they want to talk about their life here. I fully understand why the developer wants to convey the impression that once you move to the Villages, you no longer have any worries, concerns, issues or, for that matter, even have to think anymore. That is just not the case. Sadly, life is just not that simple.

It is a great place to live. Most people encounter complications in their lives and rely on others, through this forum for example, for guidance. I have an issue with not being told about the freight train in my back yard. Others have issues with services, or doctors, or merchants. Life is real. This is a real place to discuss real issues. Most of the time, the discussions here help people enjoy their lives at the Villages a little better. No government entity wants the citizens to have a vehicle to voice opinion openly. That's why goverment officials dislike radio and television talk shows. It gives the people too much power. That is precisely why there is no talk show on WVLG or VNN.

If any of you hear anybody say that Talk of The Villages fosters "negative" discussion. Please set them straight.

And finally, in an open message to the Villages management. Talk of the Villages is here to make life even better for the residents. Everybody, regdarless of age, is still protected by the right to free speech. The topics here are not imagined, they are real topics by real people who, for the most part, love living in the Villages.