Thread: BUG SPRAYING
View Single Post

Old 08-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: BUG SPRAYING

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539
I have a question for those of you who hire professionals for pest control.

Are the chemicals safe? I'm sure they must meet code but I'm the type that uses table salt to control weeds! I don't like using chemicals at all and always wonder about the long term ill effects this stuff has on people and pets.

Has anyone researched the products that are used for pest control?
Hi Nanci. I'm not a scientist, but prior to retirement I worked with dozens of internationally renowned PhD's who did environmental research and analysis. Their specialities ranged from Organic and Inorganic Chemistry to Nuclear Chemistry to Biochemistry and Microbiology (and more).

The most important thing I learned from the Director of all the environmental scientists (he was my immediate supervisor) is that everything is in moderation. Nothing is 100% safe. While each chemical used in any particular spray must meet governments' regulatory requirements, that doesn't mean that they are all 100% safe. However, as long as you're not taking a bath in it, lying down in it, or breathing it in while it's being sprayed or is still wet to the touch, it's as "safe" as anything else. Overall, the risk of these products is based upon your personal exposure levels and body burden.

Again, not a scientist, but I don't have any worry about hiring a contractor to treat my home/lawn with these chemicals. They won't be touching my skin, and I'll close my windows for a couple hours while/after they treat the outside, so that I don't breath them in. If I'm having the inside treated, I'll open a couple windows and will leave the house for a couple hours while everything dries (or settles if it's powders). If I had a pet, I'd personally take it/them out of the house for a ride in the car till all is dry. I don't even know if these last few things (ventilating) are necessary, but it is what I will do.