View Single Post

Old 08-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: ADVICE REQUESTED FOR FIRST TIME HOME BUYER

We do all of our banking with one bank and transferred everything down here. Citizens really gave us a hard sell to get the business but they couldn't beat the rate from Bank of America so we went that way. Hindsight, should we have had an attorney review all the paperwork? I don't know, the paperwork is HUGE and in a book! I don't know what it would have cost to have it reviewed. If I were hiring an attorney today, I would Millhorn as we used them for all the other changes we had to make.

For example, Florida does not interpret out-of-state drawn wills so we needed to have new wills drawn in Florida; we were concerned about medical power of attorney since the only family we have live several states away and we have no children. So we did a medical power of attorney. We also did a special document which advised any physician or hospital not to use extraordinary means such as intubation in the event we were in a "terminal" state and could not speak for ourselves. This is kind of important here since the Terry Schiavo case a while back where the family fought over whether or not to continue gastric feeding to keep her "alive". We wanted to save our family from having to make that decision so we made it already.

Now, we are both in excellent shape but we wantedto be prepared.

On having an inspector, I would hesitate to do it before the closing only because if you are responsible for not closing by the specified date, there are contractual penalties. Best to have the place inspected within six months, well before the one year.

Hope I have helped you. Wish someone would have been there for us. We never hired an inspector and we should have at least done that. We are now here two years and whatever happens is our responsibility.

We love the Villages and the people we have met. Shopping is much better now since we moved here as more and more stores are opening up. Many new restaurants are coming this way. Recreation facilities are the best. You couldn't ask for a more wonderful environment.

Good luck and God bless! :bigthumbsup: