View Single Post

Old 01-24-2014, 08:30 PM
Location: April to November in Topsham, ME and November to April in The Villages
Thumbs up

Went to Mezza Luna a couple months ago and had the Bruschetta Provencale (Spelling?) appetizer and then the Chicken Marsala. The Bruschetta was really great but the Chicken Marsala was bland, no Marsala flavor. For years I used to make Veal or Chicken Marsala from scratch at home and it ran circles around Mezza Luna's efforts. The service was timely but spotty, if that makes any sense. I'd rank the waiter as inattentive. The price was just a tiny bit high but not objectionably so.

Tonight I decided to give the place a second try. I again ordered the Bruschetta Provencale (Spelling?) appetizer and it was every bit as good as the last time, though I did add a very small sprinkle of salt (just to keep my blood pressure up ). I also ordered one of their "Flats." I can't remember the full name but it was very good. It had crumbled Italian sausage, pepperoni, bacon and mozzarella on a whole wheat crust. The waiter this time was very nice and attentive. His only error was not asking if I wanted a refill on my iced tea. He never brought bread but there was plenty of starch in the Bruschetta and Flat so I have no complaint. He also happily offered to get an answer to my question about the topping on the Bruschetta.

I've twice read poor reviews of the Chicken Marsala so I won't order it again and will warn off others I go with. But, other than that, I will certainly make Mezza Luna a more regular stop. One suggestion; For dinner, get there no later than 5 p.m.. Both times I arrived at 4:45 p.m. and was seated right away. Each time by the time I left, at 5:40 or 5:50 p.m., the line was out the door.