View Single Post

Old 08-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default I Agree With The "Friend's Recommendation" Idea

When I came to TV, I decided to thoroughly research the doctor I would choose to be my "Florida doctor". (Thankfully, I maintain a relationship with the physician I had "up north".) After a lot of research on the internet, even to the extent of learning about the reputation of the hospitals where my potential candidates did their internships and residencies, I selected a doctor who had graduated from a midwestern medical school and had done his internship and residency in good hospitals. He was board-certified and practiced in a well-known medical group with offices in TV and Leesburg. Everything seemed fine.

After choosing him, I scheduled an appointment for a physical. I found that my chosen doctor had the bedside manner of a sea slug. His idea of a physical was little more than pee in a bottle and "cough". I was quite disappointed after having become accustomed to very thorough and lengthy annual exams at a large teaching hospital in Chicago. But I was here now, so I labored on with the idea of my choice.

Then one day I whacked my shin while riding my bike. In 4-5 days my lower leg became very hot, red and swollen. I scheduled an appointment with my newly-chosen doc. He took a quick look and feel and prescribed a diruretic and potassium to offset the effect of the diruetic. "Got to get the swelling down", he said. A couple more days passed and my leg was really looking ugly. I called the doc again and he said I should go to TV Regional Hospital and tell them I wanted an ultrasound to check for a possible blood clot.

When I arrived at TVRH emergency room, the doc there asked what drugs my doctor had prescribed. When I told him, he shook his head and asked, "no anti-biotics?" Nope, I answered. The ER doc explained that he would order the ultrasound, but that my problem was a raging case of cellulitis that by that point had spread up my leg from my foot to just below my knee. He described the symtoms as "classic", which I verified with later research on the internet. The ER doc was quite concerned and explained that cellulitis was a very serious bacterial infection that if not treated properly could result in serious damage to bone and tissue and could actually be fatal. The ultrasound was negative as he expected and he started me on an aggressive protocol of anti-biotics.

My treatment took about four weeks and 10-11 doctor's visits for the cellulitis to disappear. I never again heard from my "chosen" doctor...and he isn't going to hear from me. I took the recommendation of one of my neighbors and I'm now seeing a very careful and caring doctor right in Lake Sumter Landing...as well as my "northern doctor" during trips up north. They have both agreed to work together for my well-being. So far, I'm very pleased.

So I'd recommend skipping all the research and solicit the opinions of your friends and neighbors. The information posted on TVRH website or the websites of the doctors' groups while factual, doesn't give you much more than a coin-flip of a chance of truly evaluating their qualifications. After choosing and meeting a new doctor recommended to you, if you have even the slightest misgivings about him/her, dump him and head on the another choice.