View Single Post

Old 08-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Gold member
Default Re: PC-to-Mac guru needed

I've been a PC user for over 20 years. About a month ago I bought a MAC Mini just to have something new to play with. Although I am impressed and will probably make the switch I do have holes in my application suite.

I am a little surprised that as "graphical" as MAC is touted to be, their aren't very many photo applications available. I've also been a long time Photoshop user but I can't get myself to cough up the $600 for the MAC version of Photoshop. If you are into heavy photo manipulation there aren't a lot of choices for the MAC. Photoshop is one (big bucks) and probably the second best choice in Gimpshop (free). Gimp isn't too bad but it's no Photoshop for sure. Paintshop Pro is a nice alternative but isn't available for the MAC.

My next application I use on a regular bases is Front Page. Nothing available for the MAC like it. I've been using Nvu and again it's not too bad but it's not even close to FP (not bad for free though).

The third application I use regularly is Compupic Pro which is a image viewer similar to Thumbs Plus. Nothing available like it for the MAC. I purchased a program called QPict and it sort of comes close but still falls short of Compupic.

When you are talking about graphics programs, images viewers, web authoring, etc, I think the MAC falls shot for application choices. There are far more available for the PC. I should say that there are high end programs available in all these categories for the most part but you pay a hefty price to get them. I am running Parallels which is pretty darn cool so I still have my PC applications available but would still like to make the complete switch.

OS X is far superior to Windows in every way which will keep me on the MAC side of the house from now on.

D.