View Single Post

Old 08-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: If you had to do it again, what would you add to the house

Pili, you can't customize your new home; meaning, the building won't add or take away. What you see is what you get.

But if you give your wish list to a TV sales rep, they will do their best to accommodate you.

I struggled with this too - it just didn't make any sense to me. Why would the builder not let you upgrade - its more money in his pocket. The way I understand this is at one time, there was a place called the Street of Dreams (am I right here), where potential home buyers could go and select everything from tile to cabinet handles, from formica to granite.

They did away with this - it's now a furniture store called Southern Living. Our sales rep said it's actually more profitable to the builder to just construct homes putting in what amenities that they felt people would want. Of course, the more you spend, the more the amenities. You can buy a designer home for $250K that's pretty basic or an upgraded model for $400K BUT, you can't select colors, textures, etc.

I don't like it, I will have a hard time with it but the chances of them going back to what it was is nil. '

My post about customizing was referring to what we would do when we bought or requesting this in our efforts to buy a home and hoping that I get some of what I want!