View Single Post

Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Default Old or new; MLS, VL, South or North of 466A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneumann02 View Post
We hope to be buying a home in the next few months so here are some questions:
Why are homes less expensive in northern part? Would you suggest buying south of 466? Opinions on buying new versus preowned are solicited. Any difference in pricing on The Villages listed homes vs. those listed by an MLS realtor? Any advice you would like to give is appreciated.
Those are some great questions you ask! I'm not sure about the price difference except many south of 466A have options of larger garages and some have more "open concept" home designs, so that might be one of the reasons driving the higher cost. Also an older home will begin to have some upkeep needs that keep the cost down since you will probably have to do some fixing up of the place.

Living south or north really depends on the types of activities you are interested in and where their hub is located. Archery and woodworking are up north and the south ball fields are more in the north, so if you are running up there every day, consider living north. I've been told that the southern neighborhoods are newer, so people are all working at developing new friendships and getting acquainted. You tend to find people reaching out a bit more than in the established neighborhoods.

My experience is the MLS / VL are two different competing entities-- (emphasis on competing). They will steer you different homes found in their listing program. They say they can show you the other companies homes, but they will definitely try to keep you in their own system. Note that the VL will have first notice of new homes to hit the market and have the inside scoop on that type of home. So if you are thinking of going south of 466A, I'd stick with a VL realtor. We used Brian.Arango@thevillages.com and found him to be professional, not pushy, and very knowledgeable.

Good luck!