View Single Post

Old 02-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,365 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I also think that some people confuse sarcasm with bullying. Sarcasm does not come across well in writing--no tone of voice available, no facial expression. Some sarcasm is funny; some of it is vicious. It's hard to tell in print which the poster intended, and sometimes it doesn't sit well.

I disagree with another poster that Topix will self-destruct. Have you ever read the comments of people who respond to online newspapers and NPR online stories? There are people like the Topix posters all over the place, and those forums will thrive.

In fact, TOTV is one of the few forums that is moderated and requires a level of civility. It may be because it's a business and they don't want to drive off advertisers, but nevertheless, it's a lot more pleasant to be a part of.

I guess if I had to choose between maybe a bit too much moderation and none at all, I'd choose the former.

But Bucco's point is well taken... some of the people on Topix are also on here. Beware of the info you put online.

I found the thread Topix on TOTV upsetting especially when thinking about how Graciegirl would view it, but in comparison to what I have seen on many places on the Web, its quite tame by comparison. Just look at the Orlando Sentinel blogs and posts on it about the Villages for instance. The Internet Movie Database is another place which can get rather heated.