View Single Post

Old 08-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: How do you deal with the closeness of the homes?

This is probably my only concern - privacy. I just don't want to see, smell or even hear what my neighbors are having for breakfast! Nor do I want them to hear our occasional squabbles or our conversations if we talk on a cell in the lanai. Moving from Boston to IL was shell shock for us. We had two acres of land in Boston that backed up to woods. The closest home was a city block away. I could wave to my neighbors but we had complete privacy.

In IL; we have homes around us, pretty close. We're very lucky to have 1/3 acre of land, more than most people have in our area. We spent over five years putting in what we call creative landscaping. Our back yard neighbor's patio is in view of my deck and patio but with the trees and schrubs we put in, it blocks the view and plus it's pretty to look at.

So, where we will be picky about the lot we end up with, if you find a home you love but don't like how close you are to your neighbor, the first thing I would do is put in lots of trees, bushes, prairie grass, etc to block the view. It's worth the investment.